Regarded as one of the healthiest and more beneficial treatments that you can get from a professional spa, facial steamers are now being hounded by many for their home use. And with good reason, face steamers or saunas can effectively moisturize your dry, flaky skin while keeping it hydrated. For most of us who are stuck with our hectic schedules, one can really fathom how useful is a facial steamer nowadays. I’m dedicating this entire discussion for those who are in a hunt for the best facial steamer reviews out there.
Later on, we’ll also cover the other benefits of facial steamers and some helpful tips that can further the results of this equipment. Right before our reveal on the top five facial steamers, we’ll be providing you the only buying guide that you’ll ever need!
*Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Benefits of Facial Steaming
#1. Easy-to-use operation
One of the hallmark features of a facial steamer is its uncomplicated operation. These devices usually come with few simple controls along with a padded silicone funnel that complements the shape of its face. If its reservoir is already filled with water, it should heat with the flick of a switch.
Another common feature a facial steamer comprises of is its timer. This allows you to do a quick face steam or a deeper session that lasts for 15 to 20 minutes. If you want to enhance the effects of steaming such as cleaning and moisturizing, you can opt for essential oils that can be added to your water.
Meanwhile, there are other variants which come with add-ons like special cleansing pads for your face. They also come with dermabrasion sponges that boost the removal of dead skin cells other than the regular facial cleansers.
#2. Prevents acne breakouts
Perhaps the greatest benefit a facial steamer provides is its ability to eliminate or lessen acne breakouts. When your skin is exposed to steam, it opens up your pores and reaches the skin’s pollutants and other dirts, bringing them to the surface to be washed away.
Using a facial steamer regularly should help the users avoid from having further acne breakouts in the future. If you’re prone to blemishes, you may add a few drops of lavender or tea tree oil to your facial steamer. This should aid on the reduction of blemishes while providing moisture on these spots.
#3. Fights aging
While aging is naturally inevitable, facial steamers are known to delay this physiological phenomenon. Facial steaming can stimulate your skin, increase the blood circulation and do away those unwanted dead cells. The steam's heat should also tighten your skin, rendering your face with a much younger look.
To achieve this age-defying result with your facial steamer, subject your skin for about 10 to 15 minutes in order to allow the steam to penetrate into your pores rather deeply. This simple regimen should tighten your skin while drawing the impurities out and evening its tone. Once done, use exfoliation tool to wash away the dirty components that were taken from your pores.
Some Facial Steaming Tips
- Check the water’s temperature before usage. Most seasoned users would utilize temperatures at about 110 degrees Fahrenheit (43 degrees Celsius). This very first step is crucial as going beyond the regular temperature can scald your skin and can ultimately leave a scar on your face.
- Slowly get closer to your facial steamer. Try not to get too close than 12 inches or 30 centimeters. Although some users have testified that 18 inches or 45 centimeters is close enough, try to ascertain the distance by starting from the farthest.
- At this point, you’re now ready for the steaming itself. Wash your face so it could free your pores to release any form of impurities. This should also remove the built-up dirt and makeup that can block the steaming process potentially. After this, you can prepare the steaming equipment.
- Tie your hair back and use a towel as a tent for both of your head and the bowl. Now, lean your face over the steam for about 5 – 7 minutes. Ensure that you don’t expose your skin for that long as this can dry it out. For better results, follow it up with a light exfoliation and cap it off with your favorite moisturizer!
Key Factor to Consider When Buying A Facial Steamer
You’ll be staring at your facial steamer for some time in a single session, 15 minutes tops. As such, it won’t add to your positive experience when what you’re looking at has an unappealing design. In this regard, go for a product that appeals to your aesthetics.
Another design feature that you should be looking for in a facial steamer is the cone that comes with it. It should be well made and has that form that should gather the mist effectively, spraying it evenly on your face.
#2. Types of facial steamer
You’ll be presented with two types of facial steamer in the market. The more traditional one comes with a small and portable functionality — a feature that easily becomes a home device favorite. The other one boasts of an ozone hood, a rolling base and a magnifying lamp. You can also see an ozone activator in this type. This type of facial steamer can usually be found in your salons.
#3. The auto on/off, timer features
No matter which of facial steamer you’re planning to purchase on, it’s crucial that you choose a variant which features an auto on/off and a timer. These features should provide safety and convenience at the same time. And as most face steamers would only come with a water reservoir, it’s important that you prioritize on these.
Some facial steamers are already equipped with a timer function that allows you to set it within 60 minutes. This certain allowable time should provide a nice, relaxing steam. Meanwhile, you can set it on whatever duration that you want as this type can turn itself off.
#4. Steaming power
The rule in facial steamers in terms of its steaming power is clear — the more powerful the steaming power is, the better. This feature should provide you an efficient way of moisturizing and cleaning your facial skin as the spray that comes out of it is powerful enough.
Now, there are cases in which the power of facial steamers diminishes over time. For you to avoid this, you can check on the previous users’ experience right at the review section of the product.
Top 5 Best Facial Steamer Reviews In 2017
1. NanoSteamer – Large 3-In-1 Nano Ionic Facial Steamer With Precise Temp Control
Engage yourself with the Pure Daily Care Nano Steamer that is famed for its combination of its distinctive heating element and ultrasonic vaporization. This game-changing amalgamation is proven to produce nano-steam with negatively charged ionic particles. As a result, it should give you a 10X more effectiveness in penetrating your skin.
Meanwhile, this first entry is noted for its multifunctional offerings. It can set to humidify your room and has an extra chamber to warm your towels. If you’re easily distracted with even the slightest amount of noise, this product is suitable for you as it comes with a silent, operating mechanism.
- Comes with a proprietary Nano-Ionic Steam.
- Equipped with ultrasonic vaporizer.
- Multifunctional (Can be used as a humidifier and storage to warm your towels).
- Features a larger 200ml water tank with 30 minutes of working time.
- Has a silent operation.
- Accompanying cord may be a bit too short for some.
2. KINGA Nano Ionic Facial Steamer Hot Mist Moisturizing Cleaning Pores
Whenever you’re time is limited or you’re just in a hurry, this next entry should come in handy. It has the quickest start-to-stream time and has the ability to generate full-powered steam in just under 30 seconds. On the other hand, its Advanced Ultrasonic Atomizer is both silent and effective in transforming your clean water into even finer particles to provide you a powerful, reliable mist.
And if you’re looking for a replacement of your prized chemical exfoliation via scrubbing and peeling, this KINGA entry should very well be doing you a huge favor. Meanwhile, you can use this product as an indoor humidifier too!
- Quickest start-to-stream time is featured.
- Equipped with Advanced Ultrasonic Atomizer.
- Silent operation.
- Comes with a bonus 5 piece surgical grade stainless steel blackhead and blemish extractor kit,
- Features its nanometer mist for moisturizing and UV light for sterilization.
- Plastic material may produce a bad odor.
3. Revlon Facial Sauna
The sole Revlon entry in our list, this product is boasting a complete two-step facial sauna offering that should leave your skin feeling all fresh and renewed. It comes with two operating cones — both for facial and nasal uses. And if you’re a bit too particular with the device’s temperature, its thermostatically-controlled temperature feature should eliminate this unnecessary fretting.
The accompanying facial cone is developed to aid in opening up your pores for a deep cleansing experience. On the other hand, the nasal cone is created to help cleanse your nasal passage with the equipment’s rejuvenating and therapeutic steam.
- Operates under two-step facial sauna regimen.
- Thermostatically-controlled temperature.
- Includes measuring cup.
- Ideal for users with sinus.
- Steam may be feeble for some.
- Bulky size.
4. Secura Nano Ionic NanoCare Facial Steamer
This entry is evidently winning in the aesthetic department. But you’ll be more lured with its competitive features such as its capability to generate superfine nano scale hot steam in just seconds. Subsequently, the effective steam is then absorbed easily through your skin, moisturizing it quickly.
Apart from its unique design and nano steam feature, the steam can also be used as an interior humidifier. This is suitable for those who want a quick face-steaming fix as it is not only lightweight but also lasts for 10-15 minutes.
- Can provide you a quick, efficient facial steaming.
- Can generate superfine nano scale hot steam.
- Design is modern and topnotch.
- Can be used as an interior humidifier.
- The overall material may be fragile for some.
- Burning smell may be produced.
5. Lure Steam Facial Hydration System Model No. 1936
A clear rival of our fourth entry, this product exemplifies function and style. It comes with a facial hydration system that uses a wide facial mask that emits gentle steam, opening your clogged pores as it rejuvenates your skin. Meanwhile, its ergonomically-designed mask is crafted just to contour the shape of your face quite snugly.
The product’s convenience is even more pronounced as it comes with a much-needed measuring cup and an on/off switch with indicator light. The equipment is also known for its capacity to relieve your cough and sinus.
- Comes with a wider facial mask, specially contoured for your face.
- Equipped with an on/off switch and an indicator light.
- Package includes a measuring cup.
- Stylish and modern.
- Ideal for users with sinus and cough.
- Least expensive among its rivals.
- Cone/mask may be too wide for some.
- Overall quality of the materials used may be not that premium for other users.
The reasonably-priced, quick-powering facial steamer from KINGA is easily the best among its rivals. Its swift steaming procedure along with its distinguishable Advanced Ultrasonic Atomizer are both effective and procedure-boosting. And whenever you feel like getting a peeling or a scrubbing fix, this product should suit these needs.
If you think that I’ve missed on a product that deserves a slot on top or just would like to share your facial steaming experience, please feel free to sound them on the comment section below.